Beyond This Life: The Aftermath

Better is one day in Your courts than a thousand elsewhere...(Ps.84:10)

One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple...(Ps.27:4)

Tonight, as I think about the wonderful events that took place on the weekend, I remember the intense joy of my encounter with the Lord through those two important days. I remember my encounter with the Lord in the baptism, in the Word, in the fellowship, and in the praise and worship sessions. I must say that yes, I have grown to know and love the Lord all the more just after 48 hours.

But now, as I am being forced to go back to my old workday routine, I sigh in frustration. Not that I have anything to complain about...the Lord has blessed me so immensely during the Victory weekend as it went way beyond my expectations. Yet here I am, wondering. I believe that superhuman moments like these are glimpses of heaven- gray-shaded, poor photocopies of what it feels like to be right there in eternity with the Lord. It may have a lot to do with the traces of spiritual high that I still got out of my God-indulgent weekend, but I find myself having an insatiable yearning for that wonderful feeling...that otherworldly experience wherein I feel free, that the world can fade away for all I care, as nothing else matters. I am wishing that everyday and every moment of my earthly existence would be filled with that mysterious joy that only the Lord can give. This strange desire now makes me realize more deeply that all of humanity is indeed made for a cosmic plan beyond our popular concept of a lifetime. *sigh* Truly, we are built for a realm beyond this old place we call our home planet.

Now I understand why David the Psalmist sang such lines during his earthly existence. Even though he lived as a powerful, anointed king of Israel, he had such a wise view of eternity that no amount of gold or number of women could obstruct his view of God's greatness. He knew because he focused and meditated of God's promises. He understood because he performed in faith.

I believe that, since I still need to work in advancing God's kingdom, I have yet to meet the Lord face to face. I won't be getting my heavenly wish soon. In time, I will- but not now. I just pray that I will always have that faith...that one day, yes, one day I will be there with God in heaven. I will experience the fullness of that otherworldly pleasure of being with him. *sigh* For now, I have to go with God's will and enjoy what great gifts (learnings, relationships, challenges) he has for me. I want to know and love God more while I'm still on earth...for the meantime.

(Honestly, I still have that dismal feeling...it almost brings me to tears...what a sad thing that such intense experiences are intermittent here on earth. But yes, it's time to go back and focus on the urgent tasks at hand...and yes, meditate on the Word and obey...which is nevertheless delightful...) ^^

No comments: