To B or not to B...that is...not the question

Today I received my food rations for thought. I think it's consuming me...again, this mental torment is not a new case. But the menu is always fresh and foreign to my brain cells... way to go, Lord...

So! Why do I need to baptized? What is the significance of being immersed in pool water on some church-appointed day?

Truthfully, this is new terrain for me. I did say that to my dear mentor who taught me about it. Knowing that I know not much about the subject, I keep myself from formulating my certain opinion regarding this. Several have told me that it's only in the experience that anyone would ever truly understand it. Probably much like marriage. Or temptation. Or Shakey's Hawaiian thin crust pizza, which I just consumed four slices of prior to typing this. Hehe.

Kidding aside, I now ask: Why do Christians need Baptism? Why do I need to submit myself to Baptism? How does this differ from the Catholic rite of Baptism?

Comparably, the Roman Catholic baptism is given to infants, or as soon as possible, and there is a prescribed formula verbalized while water is being poured on the head of the one being baptized. The Christian baptism comes by decision, which is very much emphasized (at least that's how I understand it).

After asking around, I came up with this view:

Baptism is NOT a prerequisite to salvation- meaning that even though a person does not have it, he or she will still be saved by grace through faith in the Lord. It is more of an outward manifestation of one's personal faith in the Lord.

Baptism may well be compared to a wedding. The marriage of the two people (with God of course) is the main thing. But most couples opt to have a wedding ceremony, right? Why? Not because they need it to secure their marriage. The wedding is more of a celebration, which is a way of proclaiming to everyone that they are accepting one another in the holy work that God has called them to. Even without the wedding, they are finely married. But the wedding is a good opportunity to glorify God.

Anyway, I just say these out of knowledge. After about twelve days, I will finally understand by experience. For the meantime, God has granted me the excitement and anticipation that I need to look forward to it... accept this not as a necessary ritual, but as a celebration of faith in the Lord, who saves.

No comments: