Of Stars and Marches

I am beginning to question my personal fascination on knowledge, which kind of borders on obsession sometimes. Sometimes. Some people find it weird...well, most people do find it weird, I think. I mean, how many people do you know are unable to sleep when some impersonal and trivial query pops spontaneously into their minds? Or, do you know someone who actually feels challenged because of some unknown fact that requires an answer?

As far as I know, majority of the world's population would know when to drop the subject (unless we're talking about some issues from the gossip column...which really doesn't tinker my fancy at all).

Anyway, I am doing my kind of monologue again, which is sometimes a habit when I do not watch myself. Hmmm... so with my intellectual fascination... 

Like the other day I discovered that the Twinkle Little Star original has seven stanzas and is not at all simple and repetitive. And it was a French piece... oringinally. I wonder why the folks in that era decided that this would be their chosen anthem for putting the little ones to sleep. I guess I would never really know what kind of deliberation had to take place just to have that song recorded and reproduced as one of the most well-known classics of our history.

Hm. Too bad.

Had I been there, I'd have voted for something more direct (with the lyrics going like, "Baby, I can see the stars, and that means you should start sleeping peacefully and let mom and dad sleep soundly as well.") and tone-friendly (for the voice range of the fathers, I mean). And why sing about twinkling stars? Why not the sun, which seems obviously much bigger and more obvious? (Uhm, wait- scratch that- sleeping time's supposed to be at night.) And WHO CREATED THAT SONG ABOUT CRADLE ACCIDENTS?! And mind you, back to the stars- they don't really stop shining- some people merely allow themselves to be deceived by the rotation and revolution of the earth. Limited views.

And on another day, I discovered that the overly played hit soundtrack every March of each passing year (take a guess)... yes, the graduation march booming endlessly in school auditoriums during commencement exercises in the Philippines...(and do you know that only the Philippines has that for a default graduation soundtrack?)...well, it's not really an oringinal Filipino hit. Really, it's not. Maybe the version is, but not ours.

The original piece was composed by some dude from the 19th century (Giuseppe Verdi, 1871). Some great Italian opera composer wanted to create an impressive march music for the second act of his grand opera (Aida), which gained considerable popularity in his era. The music is basically about a bunch of Egyptian soldiers going back home after defeating their Ethiopian assailants- in simple terms, a "Triumphal March", which is also incidentally the title of the piece.

So now... WHY (and I'm really asking)- WHY are we marching to this bloody victory music during graduation? Hmm... Is it because of the liberating aspect of the event with overly stressed students successfully submitting all the tests, projects, thesis defense, cake, ice cream...whatever requirements there may be?

Well, now...if that's what the wise guys thought of, then at some point they may have gotten it right. Hahahaha.

But that makes the students the victorious Egyptians and the teachers the defeated Ethiopians. Oh. Haha. Cool trendsetting. Brilliant. (I wonder how many members of the academic team found out about this interesting fact...)

Little stars and graduation march...I now wonder how many people experienced happiness over discovering these facts that do nothing to change the course of history. *applause* How many people wondered and used the open window (namely the net) to find out about these things?

Hmm... I'll never know and I'll just shrug it off. Not sensible. Yeah, that's true. My personal and voluntary pursuit of knowledge has no tangible, earth-shattering effect on the rest of the universe. But it does feel good for me- dose of serotonin. But back to my initial q before I forget and publish this without thinking- Why are some people so keen on finding out about things?

I guess I have to accept the fact that I am just wired that way. I believe that is the best explanation I know so far. Should I thank God for this analytical (sometimes over) wiring I got from Him? Oh yes, absolutely. Though sometimes it gets me antsy, well... there are diversions. And I ought to learn self-control.

Got to sleep. But before that, I really wonder- and I am not putting this case to rest- WHO CREATED THAT PSYCHO SONG ABOUT FALLING CRADLES?! I think now's the time to use that tagline- "Think about the children!" (or the babies, if you may- if we're being strict on terminology, ha...)

No comments: