Duty, enrollment, anticipation, reassessment.

Today I woke up later than my usual 4:40am alarm and arrived in the delivery room at almost eight in the morning. Yeah, late it is...but as soon as I was done with changing into my scrubs, my groupmates Tadz and Steph appeared in front of the doorway, apparently on their way to the enrollment proper which we all thought was scheduled for ten in the morning.

In the name of super ultimate mega punctuality (and since we had a letter at hand to get us through the gates with guard bouncers, hahaha), we took our stuff and headed towards the seminary gym. It rained. Tadz was afraid that her hair might turn into a gremlin (in other words, magulo, hahahaha benta sa kin), so with love I let her hold the umbrella and share the dry sanctuary with Steph...I mean it's just a drizzle, so I did not see the need to really protect myself. The rain's a good washoff therapy for me as well, so I just let it fall on me...until we arrived at the gym and the rain turned to a trickle and poof...

We had to wait for a long time, since the coordinators were not in yet. Grr. But it was a great time for me, since I got to see my classmates after a long time...I was very ecstatic when I saw the back of my dear Yani among the crowd...with Glennis, Maja and Ja. I took the time to greet her and we had a chance to chat. She looked very refreshed...how I love this girl, hahaha. And there was also that thinned version of Ivan just two strides away from us in the crowd...I went over and gave him a greeting. He's such a lad...hahaha.

Since it was almost nine already and I haven't eaten anything, I took the waiting opportunity to go out and get something to eat, just across the entrance to the gym. Just before I did, I met Jordy, who by the way looked fantastic with her hair down just right (it was obsessively straight before due to the rebonding treatment) and her phase of muscle wasting (basta pumayat, hahaha). After we exchanged hugs...also with other classmates of ours, she agreed to come along with me to get my chow and enroll later on. While she ordered a drink for herself, I ordered ham and cheese sandwich...now usually I do not eat burgers, but this one's different. The bun was crispy like pan de sal...and the cheese was warmed just perfectly...enough to melt with the ham. And so I had no problem finishing it...downing it with half a can of pepsi just as the enrollment began.

The enrollment proper went smoothly for me...though there were minor problems with my account...kasi may overpay ata, something like that. Anyhow, it was resolved just as quickly as it came to me.

It was slightly difficult for me to part from Jordy. But I did...since I still had duty in the delivery room...though it was not the season for baby booming...it was babymaking season, so that'd have to wait for a few months more...hahaha. When I returned, KR just finished one case, which pleased me a lot. At eleven am, we had to part with the very impressive CI and eat lunch before going to our next area, which is the operating room.

Ed Cel, Katrina, Tadz, Steph, KR and I ate at the CD Caf. We rested for a while before going up to the fourth floor where we met the members of RLE 1. They were chatting merrily as predicted. Someone had a rhinoplasty just this summer...and she's happy about the improvement, hehehe. I was glad to see Jam. But I literally jumped from my seat when the thinness of my Ahia Jo came into picture- I just had a need to hug this guy, I soooo sooo missed him!!! And I felt happy that he had already completed his ten cases, along with his other group mates. Sigh also excited me...but I felt rather put out when KR, who was obviously her closest friend in class, did not even show a hint of pleasure in meeting her again. I pretended not to notice and just chatted happily with this crazy woman, hahaha.

Past the excitement of the reunion, KR and I resumed our three-day UBE. We shared some music, wrote Chinese characters...until three o' clock came and we just waited for the staff nurse to allow us to go. Speaking of which...seeing the staff nurse really made my heart jump...not because he's a papable, but because I consider him my nemesis.

*Background: During my first case in the operating room, he was the scrub nurse. The operation turned out to be a kidney transplant, which was considerably hard and unfamiliar, since the instruments used were not common. And because of these factors I was not able to move along with the team with confidence. While the surgeon was rather patient with me, this particular scrub nurse kept on bullying me in front of the team to the end of the procedure. Plus, while I was changing back into my uniform just inside the nurse's room, he sat with no less than seven of his co-nurses and began to criticize me, even saying, 'Teka, third year ba yun? Parang hindi nga nurse eh.' Worse, when I emerged, they stopped, knowing that I heard them talking badly about me. Wala naman akong laban. And with a first timer, that sure became a nightmare that stayed with me from then on.*

Anyway, itong nurse na ito, siya pala ang may handle sa min today...at mukhang hanggang next day. I became nervous, but when he addressed the students, he turned out to be something else...he acted like a kuya to us, speaking politely while giving us useful advice regarding the shift. When he left I did not know what to think...I slowly guessed that perhaps during my traumatic experience, I just met his frustrations that day with my minor case of inexperience. Or maybe he's just being nice to potential chikas, ndi kaya?? Hmm...Sigh warned us that he is fond of putting his arm over the shoulders of female student nurses.

But who cares? As long as he's nice...then I think I can handle facing him each day...and even perhaps get rid of my fear of my nemesis in him. Hahaha. Weirdo. I'm hoping for the best.

Past this encouraging experience, I took KR to San Mig Shop to buy Nestea apple and walked her to Espana gate so she could ride home. And then I met up with Maski, Kim and Paul. I asked Maski to accompany me to buy rice box on a whim. I dunno, but a feeling of sadness came over me there...and I needed to binge. When we came back, Kim had left...Paul said he got pissed.

We went to Tinoco park. While I ate my food, Paul told me his recent prospects and recent adventures in Batangas. I was glad for him, but I wonder if this is going to end up in another disappointment..? Hay, he's got his own mind, so I should let him decide on that, hahaha...obsessive.

While we were talking, I was also weighing whether I should give my prepared note to Maski or not...or not yet. Three is definitely a crowd and I was listening to Paul...so that left Maski without anything to do while sitting. I thought that maybe it was a good time to let him read my latest creation. But then again I thought that maybe it was too soon, since I haven't mustered up my courage to just give something so heavy to him. Of course there was the scared-to-be-rejected part of me to deal with, but then I decided to be real and to do as Anni would, so right then and there I pulled out my long white envelope from my folder in my bag and casually handed it to him. I'm sure he was already expecting it...since I gave him a preview the night before. I let him read while I listened to Paul...gave him important strategical advice for impressing his current prospect, hahaha. Feel ko talaga parang kapatid ko itong si Paul, so it made me feel happy for him to open up that way to me and also take time to listen to what I think of his affairs. I hit him in the face too hard though, I think...I seriously thought I owed him an apology.

Anyway, after a while, Maski was done with reading my piece. He seemed to like it, but I dunno...I wondered if it made him feel offended or anything bad...of course that's not part of my reasons for giving him such a note. I just wrote it and offered it out of love, since I really wanted to. He said his thanks, but...anyway, I just gave him a hug and went on chatting with the both of them as Paul went on playing psp (kids talaga, I thought). Suddenly, I realized I wanted siomai on a whim. At first Maski did not want that. I was not so sure if he partly meant that or what, so I kept on asking...but not in a makulit way, for fear that he might just get pissed. I waited until he decided to come along with me along Dapitan. I wanted us to share and eat merrily so I split a tray with Maski. Back in the park, we three ate...which for me was a moment to remember because for me, sharing meals has a significance...since if one eats with me on the same container, that just means he or she trusts me...that I would not put anything bad on his or her plate, something like that. Maski amused me so much...he kept fussing over me like I would fuss over my baby girl niece...or even Lebron. Hahahaha. Not that I minded at all...it made me feel special in a funny way, hahaha. Ano ba yan...

Anyway, I checked my watch. It was getting late...and I knew I had to go. Paul had to move along first, leaving me as Maski alone to take a walk. But along the way to the carpark, I just happened to noticed how I really got taller. So I mentioned it to Paul without sensing that Maski did not like that. I felt bad about being very insensitive to his feelings. But I could not forget the sting I felt inside when Maski swore aloud just as we crossed the street because of that. I know, I know...I should have not minded, it's his life, Anni...and you've no right...but...basta, fact is, I felt that way and I half-hated myself for even caring when I should not be putting my nose in other people's business. Like swearing. Maski apologized just as I distanced myself from him deliberately in an act of protest. But realizing my position, I reinstated myself quickly. Eh bits naman rin ako, kasalanan ko rin na naprovoke siya kasi insensitive ako. So ayun. At kahit ano pang close-close factor, whatever...buhay pa rin niya yun, not mine...

Later we had time to walk around. I even met a friend of his...dunno how to spell his name, but he's got this smile I would not forget...sahia took too long to reply, at nalobat pa ko, so kahit medyo hesitant ako, kinapalan ko na mukha ko at humiram ng cell kay Maski. Tawa naman ako nung umupo kami kasi nung nag-aasaran kami, parang nasabi kong, 'Dalhin mo lang ako diyan sa isang corner tapos banatan mo lang ako...kahit duguin pa ko ayos lang.' Nung una wala lang. When he emphasized the weirdness of that statement, I laughed, slightly grasping it...but it was when I was on my way home that I totally grasped the implication of what I actually said! Hahahaha.

Habang nagmumuni kami ni Maski, biglang dumaan ang kampon ni Sahia...I had to call him out to make him see me. He was suprised...turns out he was not looking at his cellphone. But I was safe. It was also a daring moment for me, since I was with Maski...a guy who is not even a familiar friend to him. But I chose to show my dear boy because I wanted to put a double underline on what it means for me to fight for my friends no matter what. Of course fighting does not necessarily mean having to cross swords, but for me what I just did...showing my bro that I was with this guy alone...I was rather scared deep inside, fearing he might tell my mother something, or he might tell me off later on...but he didn't- perhaps he respected me? Whatever ran in his mind, what is important for me is that I just chose to be true to myself and show off my friend Maskitot, since I pride on the sparm weil spirit...ah yeah. Hahaha.

Me and sahia said goodbye to our own friends and went off. We had small chats along the way. When we got home, the first thing I did was drop my stuff, charge my phone, then take a bath. It felt good. Later I ironed my clothes, ate dinner, continued ironing my clothes again (ngpause kasi nainis na si mama when I delayed my dinner, she hates that so much)...and then upo sa harap ng pc to quench a thirst for vipertripping...dota. Just one round with the AI gave me my fill...I got bored and wrote this blog...checked my mail, friendster...those things. I was rather disturbed with Maski's stat message when I tried to go online...I messaged him, but I think he's sleeping or maybe he doesn't want to talk with me...so I just sang him a weird lullaby (I really sang, hahaha insane weird saddy) before finishing this entry.

And now my back hurts...it's 10:26pm. I guess I better sleep. I have a case to prepare for by 7am. Hysterectomy...here I go...^^

No comments: